The circle of Prince Miloš PDF Print E-mail

Cultural-historic complex “The circle of Prince Miloš” includes buildings that, with their architecture and function, maintain a historic image of the city, from the period when Kragujevac was the capital (1818-1841), until the beginning of 20th century.

Amidža’s Lodgings is the only one still preserved building from the complex of Miloš’ court and it is a part of the National museum. It got it’s name after the headmaster of the Prince’s court, Sima Milosavljević-Paštrmac called Amidža (uncle). Amidža’s Lodgings was built in 1818 and it represents Balkan-oriental style. The lodgings served as a dormitory for the young men from Miloš’s escort.

The Old Church was built in 1818 by Prince Milos Obrenovic. The church is dedicated to the Descent of The Holy Spirit on Apostles. The first bell from this church rang in 1829. The old church was first bishop’s cathedral and court chapel in liberated Serbia. In the churchyard, almost all important decisions for the Serbian people were proclaimed. The First Serbian Constitution was adopted there in 1835.

The Old Assembly Building is suited near the Old church. The Old Assembly Building, which is still preserved today, was built in 1859, during the first rule of Prince Milos Obrenovic. It is a one-floor rectangular building, where very important decisions during 19th century were made. At the same place, in 1878, the Berlin Treaty was read, which brought international recognition and independence to Serbia.

The Prince Mihailo’s Palace was built in 1860. The building is European with one floor, built after the pattern of Austrian classicism, modest in it’s dimensions and ornaments. Directory of the National museum and museum’s library are now placed in it.

The building of Grammar School in Kragujevac is one of the most monumental school buildings built in Serbia in 19th century. It was built in 1887 and then the first grammar school in Serbia, found in 1833, got it’s building. It was built in academic style. The architect is unknown. During the WW2, in October 21st 1941, German soldiers took many of the school’s students and professors to the execution. One of the classrooms was turned into the Memorial classroom, dedicated to this tragic event.

The Theatre Building was built in 1928 for the needs of the first theatre in Serbia. On Prince Milos’ call, Joakim Vujic arrived in Kragujevac in Autumn of 1834 where he in 1835 found “Knjazevsko-serbski” theatre. It is a one floor building with a pyramidal roof cupola. In front of the building there is a monument to Joakim Vujic.

The City’s Market Building was built in 1928/29 as the most beautiful market hall in Serbia and one of the first market hall in Europe. It contains style elements of academicism and secession.

One of the oldest industrial objects in Serbia is The Old Foundry Building. It was built in 19th century in the 80s, after the patterns of similar industrial objects in Germany and France. The Old Foundry Museum is now located in it.

 

Ko je na sajtu

We have 42 guests online

[+]
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
  • fresh color
  • warm color